Sunday, October 24, 2010

UCF Knights!!

I can honestly say, yesterday (Saturday, 10/23/10), was the best Saturday of my life. I got to experience a real American football game. It was such a great experience, I can't even describe how good it was. It's one of those things that you just have to be there in order to truly experience what and how it's like.



First of all, this would not have been possible if it wasn't for one of my best mates, Clinton Reyes. He totally pulled through on this one. Once we were armed with alcohol and snacks, he picked me and my friends up and drove us to University of Central Florida (UCF), roughly 35 minutes away from Vista Way. He then drove us around the absolutely gorgeous UCF campus (this made me wish I was still a uni student!). We got to experience an all-American tradition before a football game, which was 'tailgating'.

This is one of those things that I mentioned, you just HAVE to be there in order to truly have an all-American experience. This was probably the best thing out of the whole day. The campus grounds were packed with people and their tents, grills, sausages, meat patties, hotdogs, chicken wings, buns, chips, etc. Oh and most importantly, their 6-packs! Such an unbelievable sight. Tents and music everywhere, with people playing such games like catch, bean bag toss and more. So much to see and do!


This all lasted til around 2:30pm; but we made our way to the game early at 3:30. Good decision, it was packed by the time 3pm rolled around and we got great seats! UCF Knights were playing against Rice (Texas team). We sat right in front of the offense side of the UCF team, with the cheerleaders and 'Knightro' the mascot facing us. The opening of the game was insane, starting with Knightro coming out on a horse and a war aircraft dropping down 3 para gliders, who then landed in the middle of the field. We stood there in awe. The whole game was amazing! UCF won 41-14. Rice only scored when UCF was leading at 34. The atmosphere in the field was almost electrifying; fans were in their element, both young and old were taking part in this great tradition. It was a monumental experience for myself and my roomies, as this was one of the things listed on our bucket lists while we are here in America. We actually got to cross off a few thing: see a fraternity/sorority house, tailgate, and see a football game. All in one day. Thank you Clint!

I must admit, Australian footy does not come close to American football. I said to my friends earlier, Australian footy is entertainment, whilst American football is an experience.

Aah, I can honestly go home satisfied now.

Til next time.

xx aBz

No comments:

Post a Comment